Making your own electrolyte drink is super easy, fast and vastly healthier than downing one of the popular commercial drinks. Once you’ve made your first homemade version I highly doubt you’ll ever want to go back to the other stuff again…
Ingredients (makes about 20 ounce) – adjust amounts to taste.
- Water – 20 ounces
- Raw Honey* (raw is important if you want the best results) – ¼ cup
- Sea Salt (not table salt) – 1 teaspoon
- Lemons and/or Limes – 1-2 (to taste)
First thing you want to do is to warm up some water to dissolve the honey. *NOTE – don’t make the water hot…otherwise it’ll kill off the enzymes and other goodness found in the raw honey.
Get yourself a shaker bottle or drinking vessel of some sort. I use the bender bottles sold at Vitamin Shoppe and GNC…I have like 10 of them. They hold about 20 ounces which is perfect. You can use anything really though…mason jar, big BPA-free plastic bottle, stainless steel canteen…whatever suites your fancy.
Put the raw honey and sea salt in the bottle, pour enough warm water to cover and then stir/shake to dissolve the honey and salt.
Pour the lemon/lime juice in the container, fill with cold water (add ice if you like), give it one more good shake and enjoy!
Keep the base ingredients intact (water, raw honey and sea salt), but feel free to play around with the fruit juice you add to the mixture. Try other options like orange, pomegranate, cherry…whatever comes to mind. Have fun with it!
Whatcha Get with Homemade
- Fresh ingredients
- Knowledge of what goes in your drink
- Real food that your body knows how to process
Whatcha Get with Commercial
- High Fructose Corn Syrup
- Ingredients you’ve never heard of and/or can’t pronounce
- Artificial colors and flavorings
- Artificial sweeteners (sugar free versions)
The Choice is Yours
* It is not advised to give raw honey to a child under the age of 1 year old.