Beef Bone Broth
Winter is here and the cold is setting in...what better time to make a warm delicious batch of healing broth. "Healing broth"? Yup! This ancient food staple is the swiss army knife of foods.
While you may be thinking that you can just go to the store and buy a container of broth, unfortunately that's not the case. The "fast food" version of this does not have the powerful nutrients of this homemade elixir. Fear not though! This simple recipe is super easy and ultimately only requires time for all of the goodness to come out into the pot. Anyone can make this even if you are challenged by making toast.
The many benefits of bone broth may include (but not limited to)*:
- Heal and seal your gut for improved digestion
- Reduce joint pain and inflammation
- Promote strong and healthy bones
- Inhibits infection
The recipe below is complements of Andrea Beaman the Thyroid Expert at www.andreabeaman.com I added one ingredient (vinegar) and some commentary. 🙂
- 2 pounds beef bones with marrow
- 6 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (I recommend raw apple cider vinegar)
- 2 onions peeled and quartered
- 4 carrots roughly chopped
- 3 celery stalks roughly chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves peeled and smashed
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 bunch fresh parsley
First thing I like to do is to have all my ingredients prepped and ready to go.
Bring bones, water and vinegar to a boil in an 8 quart pot.
Bring bones and water to a boil in an 8 quart pot. Skim off foam/scum that rises to the top and discard.
Add onions, carrots, celery, garlic, parsley, and peppercorns. Bring back up to a boil, then lower flame and simmer 6-24 hours, covered.
The longer you cook the stock the more concentrated it becomes.
Strain liquid, discard bones and vegetables.
*Do NOT give pets the bones as they may crumble and cause a chocking hazard.*
If you want to remove the fat, place liquid into the refrigerator and it will congeal overnight. You may then skim the fat off of the top. Pour stock into freezer-safe containers, but do NOT fill to the top. Stock expands as it freezes. You can freeze stock for up to 3 months.
Have a cup of this nectar daily to reap the benefits!
Share your experience and/or questions about broth. Have you noticed health benefits to daily consumption? What varieties do you make? Chicken, fish, vegetable..?
* Mercola, 2013. Bone Broth - One of Your Most Healing Diet http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/12/16/bone-broth-benefits.aspx